Facebook recently announced “Profile Picture Guard” a new tool which will help users to prevent misuse of their profile pictures. the said feature will give users more control over who can download and share their profile pictures. in addition to this – the social networking giant, has also announced that they added new designs to profile pictures, which will be helpful for them in deterring misuse.
Aarati Soman, Product Manager stated in a blog post, “Profile pictures are an important part of building community on Facebook because they help people find friends and create meaningful connections. But not everyone feels safe adding a profile picture. In our research with people and safety organizations in India, we’ve heard that some women choose not to share profile pictures that include their faces anywhere on the internet because they’re concerned about what may happen to their photos.”
People in India will start seeing a step-by-step guide to add an optional profile picture guard. When you add this guard:
• Other people will no longer be able to download, share or send your profile picture in a message on Facebook
• People you’re not friends with on Facebook won’t be able to tag anyone, including themselves, in your profile picture
• Where possible, we’ll prevent others from taking a screenshot of your profile picture on Facebook, which is currently available only on Android devices
• We’ll display a blue border and shield around your profile picture as a visual cue of protection
Here’s how you can protect your Facebook Profile Pic
• Open your Facebook Application or Simply log-in Facebook.com
• Click on your Facebook Profile Picture
• You will see the option to turn on Profile Picture Guard
• Once selected and Saved the option, you can see your Profile Picture with the shield symbol.
Coming to the design, the company partnered with Jessica Singh, an illustrator who took inspiration from traditional Indian textile designs such as bandhani and kantha, to create designs for people to add to their profile picture.
The option to add a design to your profile photos prompts when you refresh your news-feed. you will get a option stating (refer embedded video above) :
• Add a design to your profile picture, tap on it
• You will get the option Add Design
• You can select any design from the available range
• Now tap on next
Based on preliminary tests, we’ve learned that when someone adds an extra design layer to their profile picture, other people are at least 75% less likely to copy that picture.
If someone suspects that a picture marked with one of these designs is being misused, they can report it to Facebook.
The company has developed the tools in partnership with Indian safety organizations like Centre for Social Research, Learning Links Foundation, Breakthrough and Youth Ki Awaaz, are designed to give people more control over their experience and help keep them safe online.
Source | Facebook
If you like our report please share your support by subscribing to our community on Facebook, Twitter, Telegram or Flipboard. you can also join our support group Smartphone Assistant for any queries related to your devices